Burundi Friends International was started by a group of women who met at a women’s retreat in May 2007. One of the women at the retreat grew up in Burundi and expressed her dream of helping her country out of poverty. With that, BFI was born.
BFI unites and educates youth, women and men leading to economic empowerment, building self-sustaining communities in Burundi, East Africa.
Our core values include a Passion for Service, Dignity, Generosity, Compassion and Trust.
Our approach is two-pronged. Board members periodically visit Burundi to determine the needs of the people that align with our mission. In the US, we develop projects based on those assessments, partner with governments and other nonprofits if and when necessary, raise funds through organized activities and recruit volunteers with the appropriate skills and drive to make a difference in the world in order to accomplish goals. Then we return to Burundi and, with the assistance of Burundian volunteers and organizations, carry out projects.
- Books for Africa (BFA, Minneapolis, MN)
- International Women’s Coffee Alliance (IWCA, Burundi)
- Project Concern International (PCI Global, San Diego, CA)
- Council for Education and Development (COPED, Bujumbura)
- U.S. Embassy of Bujumbura, Burundi
- UCSD Newman Center, San Diego, CA
- Good Samaritan Episcopal Church, San Diego, CA
- Alter Society of Saint John the Evangelist Church, Encinitas, CA
- Knights of Columbus of Saint John the Evangelist Church, Encinitas, CA
- Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, San Diego, CA
- The Immaculata Parish, San Diego, CA
- St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Hills, IA
- U.K. Embassy of Bujumbura, Burundi
- Cafe Moto
- Suzuki Violin Method
- Ocean Knoll Elementary, Encinitas, CA
- Green Elementary, San Diego, CA
- Burundi American Institution Academy (BAIA)
- International Leadership University (ILU)
- Cibitoke English Club
- Light University
- American Corner, Burundi
- International University of Equator (IUE)
- King Khaled Hospital
- District Hospital Ijenda
- ANSS HIV/AIDS Clinic
- Village Health Works in Kigutu
- Mugongo Manga Clinic