I grew up in a society where I was humiliated
I grew up being discriminated
No one sees my value
I grew up in a society where I have no right to
education, job or speech,
I grew up in a society where I have nothing to say or contribute
I grew up seeing my grandma, my mom, aunties and other women treated the same way
I thought is the nature coz…
I grew up in a society where everyone says that I’m the weakest creature
No, you are wrong, totally wrong
You are the strongest creature ever
You are so strong than you cannot imagine
Carrying a baby for 9 months inside of you!
Cooking, doing washing-up, cleaning…
with the baby inside of you
Because society and culture expect this for you
You are… just amazing.
Who else do you think can do that?
You only you, can do so
Because you are so strong and powerful
No one has the courage like yours,
Soldiers are courageous because they are taught to be so
But you, you are totally different.
At the birth time you struggle but..
You never give up till your hands hold a baby.
Who teaches You?
You always give the best of yourself to
see your kids at the top
You are the best manager ever,
You try to handle what little you have
To satisfy everyone from your house.
You are the best consoler because
You never tolerate any tear on your babies’ cheeks
The best doctor who detects why kids are crying and know what they want, why they are sad and make them happy
And when they are happy you rejoice with them.
Which university did you attend to learn this?
You are so kind till you forget yourself, but you remember
All your babies’ birthdays and surprise them,
You always sleep late after seeing everything is good and…
Wake up very early to prepare breakfast before others get up
You are a great leader, that’s why
You are irreplaceable in families
A great and amazing singer, nooo…
No matter the bad voice you have
But you always make your kids happy and sleep unknowingly
Because you are awesome, special and unique.
See how much you are strong,
Don’t hide yourself but do something
That will awake the whole world
Because you are the strongest woman!
Amani, University student in Burundi
- Getting to Know Odette Habonimana: How BFI’s Country Director became a nominee for the USIP Women Building Peace Award
- U.S. Institute of Peace's Women Building Peace Award Nominee: Odette Habonimana
- COVID-19 Pandemic in Burundi
- Q&A with Dugan Lamoise, on BFI’s Women Empowered Project
- Odette Nibizi Savings Group Success Story
- Let's Bring #GivingTuesday to Burundi!
- Happy International Coffee Day!
- International Day of Peace: What Climate Action for Peace Means for Burundi
- Summer 2019 Trip With Executive Directer Julie Marner
- Meet BFI’s Newest Intern!