On today’s exciting adventure on the Road to RAGBRAI, we bring you The Man, The Myth, The Legend: The Doug Novak. Doug is a proud BFI Board Member, the President & CEO of Cardiff by the Sea, CA-based Strategic Information Group, and winner of the almost 100% unanimous vote for which Cycling4Burundi teammate will be most prepared come RAGBRAI! (You didn’t hear it from us, but the stringent training schedule emails Doug’s been sending his fellow teammates may have had a little something to do with this.) He’s also recently back from a trip to Alaska! His resume, travels, and dedicated training regimen has us wondering if there’s anything this unstoppable dynamo can’t do?!
Only Tom Hanson didn’t name Doug as the most prepared for RAGBRAI, daring to state instead that “Julie will be the most psyched up!” of all the Cycling4Burundi team members. What do you have to say about that, Mr. Do-it-All Doug?! Don’t get too discouraged, Tom can’t be completely unbiased being that he is Julie’s uncle and all…
He is a man of few words but great heart. Without further ado, the interview with the indefatigable Doug:
1. What is your affiliation to BFI?
Member of the Board of Directors for 2 years. Work as advisor to Julie, the Executive Director, and support fundraising efforts for the organization.
2. Why are you participating in RABGRAI this year?
Biking is one of my passions. I used to live in Iowa and observed RAGBRAI on a couple of occasions and have always wanted to do it. So, when Julie asked, it was an easy decision to say yes.
3. Who is the athlete that most inspires you in your training for RAGBRAI and why?
I’m inspired by my brother Don who participated in BRAN (Bike Ride Across Nebraska) 10 or so years ago. He now is dealing with ALS and he inspires me every day in how he approaches life.
4. If you could tell the world one thing about Burundi, what would it be?
Burundi is Hope embodied in the energy and inspiration of its youth participating in BFI’s English Clubs.
5. Which of the Cycle4Burundi Team members do you think will be most prepared for RAGBRAI come July 22nd and who do you think will be least prepared? Why?
I know I have kicked Julie’s butt in preparing, but I had a huge head start on her since I’m a regular and frequent cycler in SoCal.
Give the gift of Hope to Burundian youth. Help us achieve our $50k goal for RAGBRAI. Donate today at: https://www.classy.org/campaign/cycling4burundi/c191396.
- Let's Bring #GivingTuesday to Burundi!
- Happy International Coffee Day!
- International Day of Peace: What Climate Action for Peace Means for Burundi
- Summer 2019 Trip With Executive Directer Julie Marner
- Meet BFI’s Newest Intern!
- BFI Founder to Receive Erskine Award
- Perk Up! Burundi Coffee Coming Your Way Soon!
- Special Thank You’s From Burundi
- BFI’s Team of Seven, Tour de Force! Part 2: One Special Place